Skip to main content

Adventure Racing Rookie: 12hours with Wiki

It has been a fair few months since I first started this blog and it has been safe to say I haven't had too many adventures to write home about; the tricky balancing act of study and life took over in the chilly Dunedin winter. But this still didn't stop Jordan and I from entering in the annual South Canterbury Adventure Race for a second year under our usual team name "Wiki and the Rookie".Im sure you can guess who is who. This year the race was held across the lake side Bog Roy, Rostreiver and Otematepaio stations near Otematata.

The morning of the race we awoke to snow falling in Omarama, which was exciting for all of about 5 seconds. Both of us were rather non-plussed by our chilly wake-up call, with one of us less enthused than the other (it wasn't me either). After a quick breakfast and constant checking that yes the snow was settling and yes it getting heavier, we packed everything into our cars and drove to Bog Roy.

The 8am start time rolled around and we were off on the bikes having decided to tackle the longer bike course on the Otematepaio Station across the highway. Unfortunately just as we started off on the bikes, the snow set in again. This would have been tolerable apart from the compulsory river crossing we had in order to cross under the highway. Once through the river and up the valley, Jordan put me on the tow line. For those that aren't seasoned racers like Jordan, a towline is basically a modified retractable dog lead (apparently I qualify as a medium sized dog) attached to his seat with a loop that wraps around my stem. My first lesson of the day came here: 'Keep your mouth shut when being towed on a short line'. We ticked off all but one checkpoint on the first bike leg, deciding not to head further up the station as the snow made its third appearance for the day and the next checkpoint was a fair way up the river.

As pretty as the snow was, it was hiding plenty of mud beneath it. 

Three hours down and we returned to the wool-shed to check in and then out again as we headed onto the second bike leg, this time on the more brutally hilly Bog Roy and Rostreiver stations. I was definitely thankful for no more river crossings but this soon changed as the climbing started and my lack of time on the bike in recent months had started to show through. It was back onto the tow for me as Jordan laid the power down on the climb up to the saddle. At times there was some bike pushing, at first from me, but then taken over by Jordan, again proving his fitness as he pushed both bikes up the hill faster than I could walk by myself. Once at the saddle it was one more climb to reach our next checkpoint and the surprise of a treat bucket full of jelly beans, a perfectly timed pick me up for an epic descent with views over Lake Benmore and the dam.

Fling down the descent must have gone to Jordan's head as he mistakenly flew up the wrong hill for the next checkpoint located on a trig, then deciding to take a bee-line to the correct trig, only to be stopped by a cliff. For once my navigation was a little more on point, finding a nice stock track to cruise around on. The next checkpoint was a quick trip through a paddock and of course my favourite, over some fences. We started our last big climb of the day with me back on the tow line and Jordan putting in another incredible effort getting us both up to the saddle into a strong head wind. I was definitely fading at this stage and not overly enthusiastic about the climb. Downing a gel and stuffed potato quickly perked me up as we ticked off our final bike and somehow getting to the top of the hill rapidly made me a lot happier and chattier. Even my fence jumping improved and I wasn't even grumpy about getting my feet wet again from Jordan's short cut.


'Can I put on new socks now?' Finished with the bikes and onto the feet

Back at the woolshed, Jordan wanted a quick transition and I wanted to get changed and a little more comfortable for our final leg. Transition time is very valuable but there is still a lot to do, restocking food supplies, adding in extra layers and for me getting on dry socks (I wasn't getting trench foot two years running) and shorts I knew wouldn't chaff. Less than 10 minutes in transition and we were off on foot, playing with Jordan's home made tow line (this would prove to be more valuable than I realised). 

The trek was full of split decisions, do we stay low or head high straight away? With tired bike legs we opted for flat first and heading around the lake shore to the first of the three trekking checkpoints we would eventually get. Once more my fence climbing skills were on show as we battled with awkward electric fences. For once my skills were almost impressive. We made rapid progress around the lake to the first checkpoint, constantly battling the chilly wind. From here the real adventure began. Lesson number two for the day 'Never underestimate a Topo map'. Our progress to checkpoint #2 started out fast and then slowed as we encountered scrub and rocks to scale. Jordan's natural ability had him moving faster than me but I kept my pace and was never far behind. Half way around we discovered just how far it would be to checkpoint 5 based on the terrain we had just covered and the decision to head uphill after checkpoint two was made.
Eye-Spy with my little eye.... Checkpoint two didn't look that far away
I knew the climb would be hard, but that never prepares you for it. Jordan clipped me on to the tow line and up we went, scaling a steep, rugged and slippery hillside. I knew my job was to push through the pain in my calves and just keep moving, the more I stopped or slowed, the longer we would take. Finally, I'd learned something from last year. It was extremely hard going but an attentive Jordan later told me he paced himself off my breathing, backing off it it sounded like I was really suffering. Lesson number three for the day 'don't ask where you are on the map, just keep moving', cue minor tantrum as it was not as far as I thought. But onward and upwards we went, eventually moving around the side of a smaller hill, Much to my delight revealing a gentle slope up to the bottom of a farm track... and more snow

It was a very mutual decision to walk up to get checkpoint 3, were were basically almost there aside from one last climb. Back on the tow we slowly climbed up and after a bit of searching found our last point and decided to head home via a well established track. Another gel and more food in my tummy perked me up again and we powered our way home, with a few more little hills and fences to climb over. My happy mood had even improved my fence climbing and made progress even faster. That or I knew the post race feast that was waiting for us at the woolshed. We cleared 11/15 checkpoints in 10hrs 6mins in the end, not a bad performance,though we could have maybe gotten one more on a slightly diverted route back home... next year we will!

We survived another year!

Though adventure races have you at times wondering why you ever entered the damn thing, but the after math always has you wanting more. With good food, good chat and sore legs, its fun to see the other teams come in with the same smiles we had finishing, especially when it gets close to cut off. 

I can't wait for next years event, though I definitely need to try get a little more time on the bike and on my feet, though I think my legs are happy of a bit of rest as I focus on the last few weeks of term and my up coming exams.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naseby 12hour: The unplanned adventure

Sometimes you are on the start-line of a race knowing exactly what lies ahead. For me, the 2017 Naseby 12hour was anything but. I hadn't intended to race, I was lined up ready to support Jordan. But an accident at the Tekapo 10hr took Jordan out of race and I decided to snap up an opportunity to test myself in ways I never knew I could be. The morning of the race, I was a bundle of nervous energy, checking over my food, listening to Jordan's advice and killing time to the start. Taking Jordan's advice, I had prepared a selection of baked potatoes and chocolate rice cakes for pit-stop fuelling up. My race plan: eat, drink, and just keep spinning. This race day was made a little more special as it was my Nana's birthday and I had named my trusty Rumor Patrick after her. The race started with what can be only described as an awkward jog in cycling shoes around the pits and up to where the bikes were waiting. Jordan was waiting ready with my bike and after a quick few w

Taking on the Timaru 10hr

One day, I hope to write a blog where I have gone into a race with plenty of training in the bank, prepared for a kick-ass day of racing.... But thats just not how I roll, where is the fun in that? I entered the Timaru 10hr in the middle of exams, mostly as Jordan was racing, and partly as ‘it will be fun’ and ‘it’s only two hours shorter than Naseby.... Easy!’. Plus I would be able to ride my new Bike My new bike, the much anticipated Specialized Epic, arrived while I was in the middle of my final term at uni for the year and being built up perfectly in time for my arrival, my profuse apologies to Aaron at Chain Reaction who had the arduous task of figuring out how to run Di2 on it. When I first saw the Acid Pink colour, it was just meant to be. The geometry closely matches my existing Specialized Rumor, meaning the position is rather familiar, if not more comfortable. I chose to strip down the stock parts and built it up with my 1x11 XTR Di2 groupset and Roval Carbon Control SL whe